:: Crown Drops Gang Rape Case (from York Press) ::
By Richard Harris
FOUR Polish men accused of carrying out a gang rape in a York graveyard will not have to face a third trial.
The men, Marcin Rafal Legowski, 24, Cezary Krasnopolski, 26, Dominik Leck Knoblauch, 22, all formerly of Lincoln Street, off Leeman Road, York, and Janusz Rucinski, 24, formerly of Bishophill Road, York, all denied gang raping a deaf and mute woman in St Martin’s churchyard off Micklegate on November 13, 2005.
The jury in their first trial in August last year failed to reach a verdict and was discharged, as was the jury at their latest trial earlier this month.
The men have always maintained the 37-year-old York woman consented to sex with them.
The solicitor for Mr Krasnopolski, Kevin Blount, of Howard and Byrne Solicitors, said his client was delighted the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) had decided to discontinue the case.
Mr Blount said: “We are pleased that this matter has been brought to a successful conclusion as far as Mr Krasnopolski is concerned and I hope he can now continue with his life.”
He said Mr Krasnopolski, along with the other three defendants, had been kept in custody for around nine months from when they were initially arrested to…